Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Development of Design Philosophy

Based on our class discussion, I can tell that there is no established mold for the development and progression of design philosophy. It is essentially a living, breathing organism fueled by evolving marketing philosophies and consumer demand. The idea of progressing from problem seeking to problem solving to eventual implementation remains intact, though, and this has always been applied regardless of the many approaches to design throughout the 20th century. I found the history of industrial design fascinating, and I wish we had more time to elaborate on the philosophies of minds like Raymond Loewy, Henry Dreyfuss, and Charles and Ray Eames.

The philosophy I found most intriguing was that of Dieter Rams, which can essentially be summarized as “Good design is as little design as possible.” I love the idea of simplicity, both in design and function, and I feel like consumers will always react positively to this kind of mentality and embrace any technology or product associated with it. Apple’s adherence to this philosophy is interesting as well, because the design of the iPod essentially reinvigorated the company and saved Steve Jobs’ career. The side-by-side comparison of the image of Rams’ radio (designed decades before Jobs’ creation) and the iPod was astounding, because it reinforces the idea that simplicity in design is invaluable and timeless. Anytime the future is depicted in films like Minority Report, science-fiction novels, and really any kind of media, simple design is always prominent, and the absence of instruction manuals and design clutter is always considered very progressive. The iPod is certainly representative of this kind of design. I got mine (a 30GB video iPod) when I was 16, and I never looked at any kind of “How to” guide or even the supplemental marketing pamphlet that came in the tiny box containing the device. I simply took it out, pushed the one button, charged it, and I was ready to go. I never looked back. I also own an iPhone 3G and I feel the same way about that device. I thought the design of the calculator app was interesting because basing it on Rams’ calculator from the 70s makes it seem so dynamic and innovative when it’s really a classic, simple design. I like simple, and I believe people around the world do as well.

While I fully support product/service innovations and welcome any developments in design that make life easier for consumers, I do believe that the existence of so many philosophies and the success of some design breakthroughs may yield many unnecessary tweaks and developments to existing products and services that may not necessarily be monumental or helpful. The umbrella that is engineered to withstand the force of winds and rain and the multi-functional running shoes that adapt to any surface were brilliant examples of design innovation presented in class. However, we also looked at designs that were simply stylistic and not representative of industry progression. For example, the aerodynamic design of a plane being applied to a pencil sharpener deceptively conveys technological advancement and ease in use, but this might have actually been a step backward in innovation in favor of commercial success. There is, after all, a business motive behind every design philosophy and product/service implementation, and the ongoing “Business Success OR Social Benefit” debate we discussed in class is not likely to disappear anytime soon. This is why people who are forward thinking will always have an industry advantage. They are not bound by thinking they have to simply keep up with the competition, but rather, they understand the bigger goal of their work, which is to make people’s lives better. 

Considering the big picture as opposed to simply looking at the project or design at hand will always yield the best results. Don Draper, the central character on Mad Men, exemplifies this idea and it is the reason he is so successful in the world of 1960s advertising. Marketing and product design are important to his job as well, and I actually kept thinking about this show as we traced the history of design philosophy in class. It’s actually my favorite show on TV, and I feel like one could do an interesting analysis of how much the stories told on the show overlap with marketing strategies, technological change, and consumer behavior in general. Interestingly enough, many behavioral trends common in the 1960s are still the norm today, which is why I think basic design principles – like simplicity - will always hold true.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nick! Glad you're excited about writing in this class. I enjoyed your first official blog post. There is definitely quite a bit more out there about those designers out there (e.g., Wikipedia has a good entry on Charles & Ray Eames) and here is an article I found a Gizmodo a few months back about Dieter Rams: http://gizmodo.com/5599893/a-peek-inside-the-mind-of-dieter-rams?skyline=true&s=i
    Good job. I hope the class continues to build for you, but let me know if there is more that you would like to be getting out of the class.

    ReplyDelete